Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Catching Your Second Wind

Since this blog is about sharing those little Eureka moments, I am going to let you in on a little mental breakthrough I had last night. 
Those of you who know me personally know that I dubiously started a exercise program recently on the recommendation of a friend. She knew what she was talking about. I am now officially hooked. That said, I am continually frustrated by my lack of strength, agility, endurance, etc. Last night's workout called for the building of certain new skills that I found particularly challenging. After it was over, I forced myself to work for a few minutes on a different skill which I also am struggling to develop: a box jump of a certain height. 
I took the box down, stared at it for a good minute, replaced it on a shelf and pulled out a lower box instead. After jumping twenty or so of those, a woman working across the gym walked over. "You know, you could totally clear that taller box. Your toes are at least six inches above the one you're working on now." She said it with such confidence that I took the tall box down and gave it a shot...and cleared the landing with no problem!
The reason I am sharing that little story is this: It made me realize that what was blocking me from my goal was not a insurmountable physical impediment, but a simple mental shift. I am bringing the high box jump into my art and my life. Some of us never realize that we have a second wind (myself included). I am forcing myself to mentally push past some of the limits that I have reasoned out so carefully, and I hope that you will too.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, what is this new exercise regime? Colin mentioned it when you guys were over. Does it involve any isometric exercises -- weight lifting, push-ups, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does. CrossFit. Are those off the table for you?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...