Friday, November 22, 2013

Violence and Love

The anniversary of JFK's assassination has me thinking about violence and familiarity. Bear with me. 
 You have undoubted seen the news clips recently like this one about the brutal "game" that bored teenagers have been "playing" on innocent strangers. (Side note: I realize that there is controversy regarding the potentially racist lean of these clips in filming only African American teenagers. Black, White or Purple aside, I believe that we can all agree though that this is brutality.) 
I think that what so many of us can't wrap our heads around is the WHY of this violence. WHY would someone use deadly force on a complete stranger minding his/her own business? WHY are these teens laughing about their friends smashing the skulls of fathers waiting at bus stops, and teachers walking home from work? WHY can't these kids see how easily the victims could be someone that they love?
 I think that the answer has less to do with hate than with numbness. I'm talking about the kind of detachment and apathy that comes from being removed from the other living human beings around you. We all know how much easier it can be to yell some obscene thing at another a driver than it is to say the same thing to the person who cuts in front of us in the grocery store line. Zipping past, behind the anonymity of our car windows, we don't need to have the same accountability for ourselves. Lets face it: when we live/work/learn in unofficially segregated neighborhoods, and then spend so many of our waking hours communicating with even the most familiar people through the screens of our personal devices, we can become a little detached. Maybe a lot detached. Maybe even detached enough to laugh about real live people being murdered in the name of fun.
I think that we all wish that we had some easy solution to violence. I wish that I did. I do know though that familiarity breeds respect. It is harder to scream and punch when you've shaken someone's hand or looked in to her eyes. That is why I love this photography project.
Talk about faking it until you make it. What do you say, Friends? Can we try to look at each other with the compassion of the familiar? There are bigger things at play here, but I believe that really seeing the people around us can go a long way.

3 comments:

  1. I love this photography project. I have been following his work. He is serious and polite and people respond. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Nicole ( I mean your thoughts. Haven't checked out the links yet). You're really on to something. This goes right along with your AS IS project. These teens are doing these things because they in a sense CAN'T look at their neighbor with understanding. To understand, I think its imperative that first one is understood. This sounds like the opposite of Charity, but it's not. To be fully human, we have to be loved as we are, by our parents primarily and first. I would bet a lot of money that most of these teens haven't ever experienced that kind of love, and you can't give what you don't have... so my spin is not only seeing the passerbys, but really seeing those closest to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your blog post and it was really amazing! thanks for sharing this awesome contents. I will back to read your more contents.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...