Monday, June 10, 2013

Can I get an Amen?


BEFORE:
I am not often hired to created a religious-themed work, but these past few months, I have been commissioned to paint several. Can we just be honest here? The religious art sold in many of the christian/catholic shops around DC can be pretty terrible. These are not the worst ones out there by a long shot, and it is possible to look past a superficial image to the content behind it. That said, I weep a little bit each time I see a stale religious image hung in a place of honor. (Tad dramatic, but true ;) So, despite the intensity required to work on such a weighty subject, I was super excited to be commissioned to make these little paintings: 
AFTER:

*P.S.-- I showed my sister the Sacred Heart painting after it was finished, because I was wondering if I had made Jesus a little too good-looking. Her response? "Well, He is supposed to be the ideal man!" :)

3 comments:

  1. Nic, those are beautiful. I totally agree about the sad religious art dilemma- how is it that with the incredible history of religious art, it is pretty much an afterthought. Well, kudos to whoever thought to commission YOU.

    And amen to the ideal man comment. Those sisters of yours are winners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait...didn't you just have a baby?!?! Like yesterday or something?!! Alissa Lively, Lifehacker :)

    (P.S.--thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...