Monday, December 17, 2012

Anatomy of a Commission

Remember this beautiful old farm? I visited it in the Fall to shoot reference photographs for a painting commission.
The property is quite large, and has so many amazing little vignettes and beautiful textures. Someone could literally spend an entire lifetime painting there!
So I started off the commission process by drawing a loose sketch of my idea for the final painting. That way the client and I could be sure that we were on the same page in terms of the composition.
Next, I translated the approved drawing onto a canvas, and set up color keys to guide me.
The rest of the painting unfolded fairly seamlessly, just in time for Christmas!


  1. Terrific to see the evolution of this commission. Wonderful final product!

  2. Beautiful Nic! PS- You have to stop by and see the big shell above my fireplace- it looks awesome!!

  3. Thanks, Eden! Thanks, Grace! Above the fireplace? I'm so honored!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...